You Choose Your Meaning
Wed, May 02
Perhaps the best response to nihilism to think that meaning is something you generate for yourself -- it doesn't depend on whether you make a permanent different to the world. In this class, we will talk about the basic tenets of existentialism and the view that there is no prescribed function or meaning for a human life.
Key Concepts: existentialism, existence preceds essence
- Existentialism is a Humanism (Excerpts) (Jean Paul Sartre)
- Can Straight People be Queer? (Vice)
- Black or White? Woman’s Story Stirs Up Furor. (NY Times)
- Four Questions on Existentialism (4Q24)
- REMINDER: Your final Apology draft is due on 5/7.