Wed, Mar 25
Nietzsche thinks unshackling yourself from organized religion is an essential step to living well. In this class we'll explore different versions of atheism and Nietzsche's debunking theory about the origin of religious belief. We will also consider how Nietzsche does or doesn't fit with the existentialist tradition.
By the end of class:
- You will understand the structure of a genealogical argument and comment on its logical and rhetorical features.
- You will engage in debates about different potential definitions of atheism, including Nietzsche's.
- You will be able to discuss Nietzsche's relationship to existentialist philosophy.
Complete the following questions in your GGL Journal:
- University of Miami has a professor for atheism. Should Notre Dame hire a professor of atheism? Which department should they be in? What would they research? What would they teach?
- How does Nietzsche's rhetorical style reflect his assumptions about the good life? Discuss at least one specific passage.