Learning to Live Well
Wed, Jan 24
You can learn to solve a differential equation. You can learn to ride a bike. But is happiness something that can be learned? And if so, how? This class section will introduce the fundamental philosophical puzzle of God and the Good Life and discuss Aristotle's answer to it.
Key Concepts: Virtue, Eudaimonia, the Doctrine of the Mean
Note: There will be a practice quiz in class today. You will get credit for attempting it. Fully graded quizzes and flows will start next week.
Tuesday Dialogue Groups should have already met. Wednesday groups begin tonight. Here is a short video to get you ready.
- Interactive Essay: Aristotle on Learning to Live Well (Nicomachean Ethics I.7, II.1-4)
- OPTIONAL: Cheeseburger Ethics (Aeon)
- Read general directions for Four Question assignments
- Four Questions on Learning Virtue (4Q1)
- REMEMBER: Personal Narrative Prewrites are due on Fri, Jan 26.